Be Prepared


I am thankful that in this country (especially the part that I live in) the likelihood of a devastating drought, epidemic, or other natural disaster is minimal. Still, we can't know what tomorrow brings (job loss is certainly a current reality!) and we have two little ones to protect.

While our food storage is nothing compared to many others, we've made a point of investing in goods that can be stored without refrigeration and prepared without electricity. We also have the means to purify water if need be.

I reviewed the Preparedness Pantry site and food storage analyzer a while back and this week snapped a shot of our recent order so that you can see that we do in fact use them. Their customer service is great. The order pictured below was of 3 cans of freeze dried spinach, 1lb of yeast, and a portable washer (for clothes - stinkin' cool!).


I thought I'd take a minute to type up a list of the food we have on hand specifically for an emergency. There are a few other dry goods that have been opened here and there (like 1/2 a box of spaghetti noodles, beef bouillon, various flours), but I'm not counting them.

Grains/Nuts
10lbs whole wheat flour
5lbs rolled oats
5lbs brown rice
5lbs pinto beans
5lbs black beans
3lbs garbanzo beans
5lbs raw almonds

Fruits/Veggies
3 cans freeze-dried spinach
3lbs dried cranberries

Other
54ozs coconut oil
1lb yeast
1lb salt
1 quart honey
1 (40oz) can blueberry granola from Mountain House
22 servings of freeze dried entrees from Mountain House

There are 4 of us in our family, but our littlest will still be exclusively breastfed for a while, so I'd guess these supplies would last us about 3 weeks if we used them moderately, a month if we used them sparingly.

Over the next few months I plan to re-stock our supply of ghee as well as purchase more beans/nuts/seeds. I'm also excited to be learning/teaching myself how to preserve foods through lacto-fermentation and hope to put some fresh produce away.

Do you have food storage? Have you been thinking about stocking up?

The LDS church is a great resource because their leaders encourage them to be self-reliant and prepared for adversity. Here's a list of LDS sites that discuss emergency preparedness.

Here are a few other resources to check out:
Healthy Harvest
All About Food Storage

3 comments:

tahtimbo said...

This is something that we want to do. We plan to purchase a food dehydrator so we can start drying some fruit and veggies (along with jerky, of course). Do you happen to have a list of items that a pantry should have, you know, the basics? I'll continue to wander around your site in case you have one and I missed it.
Any help for a newbie would be greatly appreciated.

viggie said...

I made it through my last lay off only because I had a small pantry to eat out of. It was just spare items that had built up because I had a pantry closet in the kitchen, so I know too well how useful it can be. I learned my lesson well and now it's larger and designed to be nutritious too...lol.

I just got the same washer myself and tried it out this weekend, it's the best way to wash clothes by hand I've found.

Anjanette said...

Tahtimbo - we are saving for a dehydrator too, this review got us motivated: http://www.healthhomehappy.com/2010/06/excalibur-5-tray-dehydrator-review.html
Alas, I don't have a list compiled yet. Everyone's idea of "pantry" food is different. I personally like this list: http://www.leftoverqueen.com/the-pantry and I do plan to include my own list in the ebook I'll be releasing at the end of the Summer, so stay tuned!

Viggie - I'm sorry that you had to go through a lay off, but so glad you were provided for! Most of us have more food in our pantry than we realize. We too have slowly turned our pantry into a healthy one.
Glad you like the washer, too! We're super-excited!

Related Posts with Thumbnails