Once upon a time (a few months ago) I tossed a ziplock full of pureed cauliflower into my freezer without paying attention to where it landed. When I went to retrieve it a few weeks later I discovered that it had slipped between the rack and the freezer wall, and expanded as it froze. It was essentially wrapped around the rack and I had to work way harder than I'd like to admit to break it free.Lesson learned: be intentional about the way I stack and arrange things in the freezer, even if I currently have plenty of room to spare.
I've heard ab0ut people arranging things like soups and sauces in ziplocks in a baking dish in the freezer to make them a better shape for stacking. Great idea, only I don't really have room for a baking dish in my tiny freezer-above-the-fridge. So here's my solution, a magazine:

The (purple) magazine keeps my (tomato bacon white bean) soup from moulding to the rack as it freezes and gives me a level, flat surface to freeze on so that later I can stack another zipock or two on top. :)
The bottom of my freezer is ridged to prevent things freezing flat to the bottom, but that poses the same problem as the rack so a magazine comes in handy. You could also use magazines to create a barrier between two or more ziplocks as they freeze to keep the condensation from making the bags stick together - especially if the food is still a bit warm.
Works for me! :)
This post is linked to Works for Me Wednesday at We Are That Family.
4 comments:
What a great idea! Why didn't I think of that?
I would have never thought to do that. I can fit a baking sheet in there if it's not too full, but I will definitely have to keep this in mind as well!
great idea!
love the idea - I certainly would have never thought of it! Thanks.
Post a Comment