As promised, today is the first day of a new meme, Make it Yourself Mondays! I've got some great ideas for the upcoming weeks and I'd love for you to join me by linking your recent posts that feature things you have made yourself instead of buying pre-made. Starting with something simple today: Breadcrumbs!
Making Breadcrumbs
Step 1: Set out leftover bread extras (ends of loaves, pieces not eaten with dinner, etc.) over night. We were given a sub sandwich this day and little guy ate all of the meat and cheese out of it. :)

Step 2: Zip dried pieces up in a bag and get ready for the fun part!

Step 3: Pound away! I like getting my 2 year old involved in this part - you could even let little ones try stepping on the pieces to crunch them.


Step 4: Store breadcrumbs until ready to use. I just stick the bag in the freezer and add to it as we can.

Step 5: Season as desired and use to make yummy things like lamb meatballs or top sides like this twice-baked butternut squash!

There are obivously a million variations on these instructions, but I wanted to make sure you got a taste for how simple it really can be. If you are pressed for time you can try toasting your bread or baking it at a low temp until it has dried. Keeping your supply up will ensure that you never have to run out to buy pre-made crumbs and also let you have control over the ingredients your family consumes!
What have you made recently? This is not strictly limited to food, but try to keep it focused on things that people regularly buy pre-made. Can't wait to learn from all of you! Use the form below to add your site - be sure to name it something that will give us an idea of what your post is about. For instance, I'd label mine Anjanette @ Eat From Your Pantry: Breadcrumbs!
Also feel free to grab the graphic for your post, and link back to this page so others can enjoy!

No comments:
Post a Comment