1 Chicken, Many Meals

I can't think of a healthier, more frugal meat option than whole chicken (unless you catch and fillet your own fish)! Unfortunately, this guy:

intimidates a lot of the people that I work work with, and probably some of you as well. We are so accustomed to buying boneless skinless meat products that it's difficult to know where to begin.

Here's the short version: Thaw if frozen, take out any organs, wash it with cold water, plop it in a pot or dish, and COOK IT! :)

Really, there are probably a million different ways to prepare and cook a whole chicken, but the only important part is that you make sure the internal temperature (breasts) is at least 165 degrees. Roast that naked guy up there for a few hours in a 350 degree oven with some olive oil, salt, and pepper, and you have this:

He cost me a little over $3 (on sale for $.98/lb) and I was able to use him in 5 different meals for 3 people (2 year old counts as a "people" in this case b/c he LOVES chicken)! I like to let the chicken cool to a temperature that is bearable to handle and then clean the bones right away. I store the breasts separate from the rest of the meat b/c we generally use them for different meals. Our typical usage in a week looks like this:
  • 2 or more chicken sandwiches (usually breast meat with mayo and sometimes cheese or avocado)
  • 1 stir-fry
  • 1 soup
  • 2 casseroles or frittatas or pastas (we eat spaghetti with shredded chicken)
Now that I know how to make my own broth, I also save all of the drippings:


and boil the bones and any leftover meat. That technically means many more meals than just 5 considering the number of ways I use chicken broth. Try cooking your beans and rice in chicken broth, use it to make gravy, or make more yummy soup!

Here are a few of the recipes I have covered that use chicken (remember to substitute fresh ingredients whenever you can), and a couple of resources to check out:


How to Cook Chicken - TLC (different methods)
Cutting Up a Whole Chicken from Nook and Pantry

**This post is linked up to the Real Food Roundup at Naturally Knocked Up

8 comments:

Julie said...

I love reading your blog! You are such a better "cook" and definitely smarter than I am when it comes to being frugal. your ideas are great and I use many of them-thanks!

Alison @ Hospitality Haven said...

Perhaps this is a ridiculous question, but what do you do about sealing the jar? Do you simply put the broth in and put the lid on? Or do you have to can it in water or something? And also, do you store it in your fridge, in a cupboard, or in your freezer? Alllll these questions I have! :)

Anjanette said...

Thanks for the compliments Julie - Trust me, I still have a lot to learn!!

Not a silly question at all, Alison! I always let the drippings (and later, the broth) cool before sealing it. I use pasta jars, and similar containers from other foods that Ive emptied & washed. This is my first time freezing broth and I was worried about the glass breaking, but Katie @ Kitchen Stewardship said she just gives it a good inch or two for expansion. so far so good!!

Donielle @ Naturally Knocked Up said...

Great post! I'll have to come back and check out some of the recipes you linked to.

And thanks for participating in the round up!

Virginia said...

Yum! I make my whole chickens and stock in the crock pot! Way to use all of the chicken!

Virginia
http://livinglocalnh.blogspot.com

Amanda Rose said...

Hi Anjanette. That's a great deal on that chicken!

I don't know if this is obvious or has already been mentioned, but with freezing the broth in a glass jar, don't use a narrow-neck canning jar. The broth will expand upward and break at the neck (unless you are a few inches below it which wouldn't leave much room for broth).

Amanda

Anjanette said...

Virginia - I frequently make mine in the crockpot, too! So easy! I hadn't thought about doing stock in the put, but might as well!!!

Amanda - thanks for the tip!!

Kitchen Stewardship said...

Definitely one of my favorite frugal foods!
: Katie

Related Posts with Thumbnails