Giving Up Narcissism for Lent


I'm having a baby in 20-some days, so a food fast isn't especially practical this year.

It's been difficult to choose something to give up for the 40 days (minus Sundays - which are feast days) before Easter that would be both sacrificial and practical for the place God has put me.

I've decided to tackle a couple of the things that I struggle with the most - pride, procrastination, and prayer.

In order to be a more productive steward of the time God has given me, and to squelch some of the narcissism I indulge in, I've decided to give up a few specific websites:


I check all of these daily for no good reason. I could justify it by saying that checking progress on my blogging and income earning goals keeps me motivated to write more and stay focused, but the reality is that I will have earned the same amount and attracted the same number of readers whether I know the numbers or not. I will probably still allow myself to check them on Sunday, but Sunday is generally the day I am no where near a computer, so we'll see.

My hope is that this will free up some of my time spent online for time spent in prayer - I am thinking about staying with my son in his room when I put him down for a nap so that I can pray for a while before coming back into the living room where there are distractions.

Are you observing Lent? What are you doing? Kitchen Stewardship has ideas here.

2 comments:

Jen@BigBinder said...

Ooh, those are hard. I can't imagine what a difference it will make in 40 days though - I am a complete stat checker so I know just how much time it wastes. Good luck with all of these!

'Becca said...

I relate to your stat-checking! I have a hard time leaving alone any features that allow me to check things like that.

A few years ago I found myself talking and complaining a lot about my Lenten fast--you know, kind of showing off my suffering, just like Jesus told us not to!--so now I avoid discussing my fast while I'm doing it, but if I learn things I think are worth sharing then I write about it after Easter. This year I wrote an Ash Wednesday article about fasting to help the environment, which has been so effective for me in learning to take better care of God's Creation.

Related Posts with Thumbnails