
I love this season - there's almost TOO MUCH food to eat! Between farmer's market finds and produce from the gardens of friends, we are abundantly blessed. Only problem is, of course, that fresh produce quickly becomes something... other than fresh if not eaten.
Last Summer we bough a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) share and were up to our eyeballs in beets and cauliflower mid-season. We decided to choose our own produce (so that we'll actually eat it) this year and we've still gotten enough tomatoes to give us ulcers. I've been making a mental list of the ways we use Summer produce and thought I'd share.
Tomatoes
soups
stuffed tomatoes
burgers/sandwiches
salsa
sliced into wedges with salt
Zucchini
brownies, bread, cookies
in place of lasagna noodles (I just use a potato peeler to slice)
add-in to spaghetti, stirfry, fried rice, quiche or fritatta, tomato pie
brownies, bread, cookies
in place of lasagna noodles (I just use a potato peeler to slice)
add-in to spaghetti, stirfry, fried rice, quiche or fritatta, tomato pie
Corn
in tacos
If you're Japanese - on pizza!
Peppers & Onions
filler in just about any dish mentioned above
dice and freeze them for later
Cucumbers, carrots, broccoli, peppers, cherry tomatoes, celery, and any fruit work nicely together to make veggies trays like the one pictured above. Try sitting one out at snack time, or inviting guests over for a light lunch. Great for picnics and potlucks.
Make sure to save the ends and peels (and any leftovers that you don't want to serve again) for broths or composting.
What are your favorite Summer veggie-filled dishes?
1 comment:
I was just saying on my blog today that I've run out of zucchini for my beloved zucchini bread...is that possible???
Next year I hope to have a large garden.
Post a Comment