Marie Calender's Baked Meals Review and giveaway!





I've been given the opportunity to try the new Marie Calender's Baked meals at no cost and pass on my thoughts and some coupons to you! Two readers will get coupons for a free meal! Read through to the end for more details.

Regular readers may be surprised to see me writing a review for frozen meals. While I recommend cooking everything from scratch whenever possible, I acknowledge that there are days that circumstances don't make that easy. The best case scenario is that your fridge and pantry are stocked full of fresh and easy to prepare ingredients. Second best is that you have prepared for rough and/or hurried days with some frozen meals you cooked ahead of time from scratch. I won't lie though, sometimes the convenience of a frozen pizza or even fast food proves rewarding enough in the dividends it pays to my sanity to make it worth it.

So, long justification over, I'm posting a review for a frozen meal because the reality is that most of us eat them. I cannot in good consciousness recommend eating these on a regular basis due to the large amount of sodium and the processed ingredients they contain, but for the occasional relief from cooking, here's what I think:

I tried 3 of the Baked Meals and one Pie. A review of each is below.

Southwestern Style Chipotle Chicken Bake
 We microwaved this one as we were in a hurry. We were pleased that it really did come out cooked evenly and the rice had a good texture - not that gross grainy-ness that some instant rice has. I will warn you though that while the sauce had a good flavor, it was way too spicy for my husband and 2 year old. They weren't impressed at all. Also, we should have eaten it with tortilla chips or with a big salad b/c we were hungry an hour later. We don't do many carbs/grains and there wasn't much chicken in the meal. Still not bad for what it is.


Creamy Chicken Alfredo with Sun-Dried Tomatoes
This was delicious! I'll be tempted to buy it again for sure. The sauce was just right and the tomatoes added a kick. Everyone loved it! We microwaved this one as well. Even though all of these can be baked, the difference in prep time for this one was 10 minutes in the microwave, or 50 in the oven!! We knew we'd still be hungry this time, so we MAY have finshed dinner off with some pie...


Razzleberry Pie
I received a coupon for a percentage off of a pie and they were on sale, so I grabbed one. The fact that I chose Razzleberry is a testament to how much I love my husband. I would much rather have chosen Chocolate Cream, but he's a fruit guy. And as far as fruit pies go, I enjoyed this one. The biggest bummer for me was that I didn't read the baking instructions far enough ahead, and they suggest that you let the pit set for 3 hours after it's baked. We ended up eating it right before bed, which I wouldn't have chosen. Like most pies, I thought it was better cold for breakfast the next morning.



Three Meat and Four Cheese Lasagna
We finally got around to baking this one. The baking tray held up well and it baked very evenly! I made Cheesy Garlic Coconut Quick Bread to go with. It was definitely more substantial that the other two with 290 calories and 14g of protein per serving. Not bad at all for a frozen lasagna.


There are also three more varieties of baked meals that I didn't try:  Chicken Spinach and Mushroom Lasagna, Scalloped Potatoes and Ham, and Vermont White Cheddar Mac 'n Cheese.


Would you like to try your own??

Marie Callender's has graciously sent me coupons to give away to two of my readers! To win a coupon for a free Marie Callender's Multi-Serve Baked Meal, visit their site and then tell me in the comments which meal you think you'll try. That's it! Easy-peasy!

Comments will close on Wednesday, November 24th at 11:59pm. Two comments will be randomly chosen on Thanksgiving Day. Please leave me a way to contact you in your comment or I'll have to choose someone else.

***Disclosure: I was given coupons for two free baked meals as well as for cents off of a few more. I was also compensated for writing up my review and hosting the giveaway. However, I was in no way obligated to write anything favorable about the products or company. All ideas expressed in this post are mine.

20 comments:

Erin said...

The Razzleberry pie makes an appearance at every holiday or celebratory meal in my family. We learned a long time ago that patience is a virtue and that it tastes a lot better (and is easier to eat) if we let it set instead of running freely all over our plates. ;)

Oh, and this does seem to be a common theme with all Marie Calender's pies, but we make most of the others from scratch.

stacy said...

I'm glad you did this. I try to cook from scratch as much as possible...and try to get past the guilt when I buy ready made stuff.
The Alfredo one would be my first choice. I love anything with alfredo sauce!

gingeroo616@aol.com

Sarah said...

Think I wouldn't mind trying the Vermont Cheese and Mac one. I've seen these in the store but haven't tried any yet

Tori said...

I'd like to try the Cheese & Mac, but my husband's a meat guy, so we'd probably get the Lasagna. :)

Anonymous said...

I'd like to try the Creamy Chicken Alfredo with Sun-Dried Tomatoes ! scg00387 at yahoo dot com

Kate said...

kclements2001 (at) hotmail (dot) com

I would like to try the Macaroni and Cheese one! YUM!

susitravl said...

I would like to try the Southwestern Style Chipotle Chicken Bake.
susitravl(at)gmail(dot)comh

atlmuzikfanzinc said...

I would try the three meat and four cheese lasagna

atlmuzikfanzinc at gmail dot com

Marija said...

Macaroni and Cheese bake! Yummmm.

marija.majerle at gamil dot com

B. Wilson @ Windy {City} Wilsons said...

I'd love to try the vermont mac and cheese!
--Brandy
fosterbrandy(at)msn(dot)com

Tara said...

Chicken, Spinach, and Mushroom lasagna sounds yummy!
huffychic@gmail.com

Theresa said...

I want to try the Scalloped Potatoes and Ham :)

Marissa said...

I would try the Three Meat and Four Cheese Lasagna.

Julie said...

Scalloped Potatoes and Ham sounds good :)
thanks
aunteegem@yaho.com

Dani said...

I would try Chicken, Spinach, and Mushroom Lasagna! contestd(at)hotmail(dot)com

Nancy said...

Our top choice would be the Three Meat and Four Cheese Lasagna. That sounds fabulous!

Nancy
allibrary (at) aol (dot) com

Elaine said...

I'd like the razzleberry pie!

CLOTHED MUCH, a modest fashion blog

Susan said...

I would love to try the meat and cheese lasanga! yummy! suelee1998 @ gmail.com

Tammy said...

The white cheddar mac and cheese

nov231973 at gmail dot com

Lyla said...

A joyous holiday season to all your blog readers!

Related Posts with Thumbnails